New for Spring 2018!
Scenic Design Intensive
Dive into the world of scenic design. Study some famous set designers, and some amazing sets as inspiration. In this class, each student will pick from a list of musicals or plays, and do the research for time period sets. They will learn to draw a basic set plan, draw three dimensionally, and add detail as the class moves forward. They will learn textiles, use of color, and materials as they relate to sets. Each student will have two completed scenes they have drawn from their assigned play to choose from, that they will then create one 3D model to present to the class at the end as they would present to a director in the real world of theater.
Students must have some basic drawing experience. Students will need a drawing pad, ruler and pencils. Homework is required. Taught by Jennifer Wilson (bio here).
- Thursdays, March 15-April 26* (6 weeks) from 12:30-1:30
- $78 total (registration fee of $25; materials fee of $5; tuition of $8/class)
- Ages 12-18 (suggested)
- Immanuel Lutheran Church, Attleboro (click for a map)
>>>>Click here to register!<<<<<
This course, below, was offered in the Fall, 2017. We are leaving it up for informational purposes as we will likely offer something similar next year!
Students in this course will learn the ins and outs of building the sets and props for a musical production (in this case, they are working on the MainStage Production of “White Christmas”). The first few weeks of the course will be dedicated solely to research and design. The students will learn how to gather information to design a safe, historically accurate design that shares the director’s concept for the show. Next, the students will break up into groups depending on their interest and will work for the next few weeks either actually constructing the set pieces or working on more detailed prop making. Finally, the two teams will join together to put the finishing touches on the set pieces and will assemble all of the pieces on the stage. This course is a good choice for both creative students looking for new ways to use their artistic skills as well as students who are looking for more hands-on set construction experience. Led by Melissa and Jason Lamb, Dave and Jen Wilson (bios here)
These classes are part of the High School Credit Track! For more information, click here!
New This Year – Included in the Behind-The-Scenes Class:
Be a part of AWIP’s Costume Crew and Stitch Shop. You will be a part of historical research, design, alterations, embellishment, lay-out and cut-out, machine and hand sewing to create costumes for “White Christmas.” Beginning level sewing experience required as well as having own machine (preferred). Some Saturdays optional for shopping trips. Led by Pam Macbeth.
- Fridays, September 1-October 13 @2:30-4:30**
- We ask that this class continue with the TIP Crew Days to assist with the production
- Schedule for White Christmas
- Fridays, October 20+27 and November 3 @3:00-6:00*
- Thursdays, November 2 & 9 from 2:00-5:00; November 9 from 6-8:30;
- Tech Week: Monday, Nov. 13 @4:00-8:00; Wednesday Nov. 15 @4:00-8:00; Performances are November 17 & 18.
- The Mclernon Home•50 Bridget Way, Attleboro
- Tolman Stage, 150 Exchange St, Pawtucket
- $130 total (includes Admin Fee of $25 • Tuition of $15/class–less than $8/hour)
- White Christmas Cast Members get 40% off! Your voucher code is listed on the cast page.
- There will be no extra charge for attending the tech workshops
- Invoices will be emailed by August 1 and divided into monthly payments.
- You may sell candy to offset tuition or apply for other scholarships/discounts. Please contact us for more information.
- Check out this document to see where your money goes!