Well, I meant to get blog posts out more consistently on the different departments well before the school year approached… but there’s that little thing called summer that keeps getting in the way! Vacations and visits and school prep, along with kicking off the new year with Salt+Light Team Five; and Newsies getting underway this week! So this post will combine TWO departments so that you can have time to register for anything you might be interested in.
From the Media Department:
Are you interested in film, photography, or graphic design? The Media Department might just be the place for you. Students ages 10+ are invited to join us for an interest meeting on Tuesday, August 28 @1-3 to hear about all of the opportunities we have at AWIP, and participate in a free workshop!
Being part of the Media Department offers these opportunities:
- Opportunities to create great content for a real brand
- earn volunteer hours working with a non profit (looks great on resumes!)
- Receive coaching from industry professionals
- Get paid for larger projects
- work with pro software
Click here to learn more about the Media Department and to sign up for the Interest Meeting, which is FREE!
From the Tech Department:
AWIP isn’t all about being in the spotlight. We offer several options for students who prefer to work behind the scenes, and encourage performers to take these classes in order to get a full picture of what it takes to run a production.
Here are all of the opportunities we have this year in the Tech Department:
- the TIP Crew (learn about the stage, fly system, lighting, and tech elements!)
- Stage Management (learn the ins and outs of stage management, and actually “manage” your own small event!)
- Dramaturgy (click the link for more info because it’s hard to describe here, but this class is an excellent addition to your homeschool curriculum!)
- Set workshops (learn how to use power tools to build set pieces that are safe and versatile for our “Newsies” show!)
- the backstage crew (join us backstage for “Newsies” this fall!)
Being a part of the TIP Crew, Tech Department, Media Crew, and Media Department are all opportunities for students to explore areas that they might be interested in with the encouragement of industry professionals. They will also be allowed to embark on a path to eventually becoming a student leader, as Media Director, Assistant Stage Manager, and more!
Click here to register, and be sure to contact us if you have any questions.
Jen Roca, for all of us at AWIP